I originally started my blog somewhere else. Since there aren’t that many posts I decided to copy them here so everything would be in one place.
November 25, 2010
Well, I’ve had 2 jewellery shows in the last 2 weeks and my next show isn’t for another 2 weeks so I’m taking a break from jewellery this week. My project for the last couple of days has been knitting a sweater for one of our darlin’ dogs who’s getting older now and a little arthritic. He has very short fur so the cold really bothers him. He’s a bull mastiff mix and we couldn’t find a store-bought coat that was a decent fit. All the ones that fit in the chest had necks too small and all the ones with big enough neck openings were way too big everywhere else. So I decided to use one of my knitting machines and whip out a doggie sweater.
Knitting machines may be faster but they’re not always easier and, depending on what you’re doing with it, they’re not always all that fast. I’m using my Bond (or ISM Incredible Sweater Machine) so I can use thicker yarn and it’s a manual knitting machine–about as manual as you can get. That means anything other than plain stockingette needs the needles or the stitches to be manipulated by hand. So far I’ve spent 2 nights (a total of 9 hours) just to knit the back of the sweater. Now if I’d done it in plain stockinette it would have gone a lot quicker and I’d probably be done by now but I wanted it to be nice and thick & insulating so I used what’s called a tuck stitch to make a honeycomb pattern. That means every row I have to select by hand every 2nd needle across the bed and pull them forward and then select all the inbetween needles and push them halfway back. I have a card called a needle selector that allows me to select about 10 needles at a time but with 118 stitches in every row (and 232 rows) it’s still time-consuming.
I don’t have a picture of the knitting in progress but here’s a picture of Magnum who turned 9 yrs old this fall.
December 02, 2010
We got a LOT of snow last night. Fortunately, Mag’s sweater is finished enough for him to wear it today. Now I can do the final adjusting of seams and add some cuffs on the armholes (legholes??).
The front, bellystrap, neck & seaming took another 8 hours so it’s up to 17 hrs so far and it’ll probably take another 2 hrs for the leg-cuffs and finishing off.
I used mill-ends (sold by the pound) and got 2 bags ’cause I wanted to be sure to have enough–total overkill!! But I have enough left over to make me a sweater too! 🙂
December 08, 2010
A few days ago I had knit a test-“sleeve” onto his sweater but it needed to be much wider. I have been reluctant to take his sweater out of commission for the several hours it will take to redo it because we’ve been having very cold weather. Since I’ve been pretty busy gearing up for my show this weekend I decided to just leave it until next week.
So last night I took his sweater to rip out the ‘sleeve’ that didn’t work out since it was just kind of flapping around. After a few minutes I notice that Magnum is pacing around the room, whining (he whines very softly under his breath so it’s hard to hear unless he’s close), and every few minutes he stops, gives me the pouty puppy look, then starts pacing again. I finish ripping out the sleeve and show him his sweater’s fine and he plunks his butt down and just sits there whining at me. So I go put the sweater back in it’s spot by the backdoor, Mag gives it a good sniffing and wanders off, tail wagging, to take a nap. So, umm, yeah…I think he likes his sweater 🙂 Hehe, should be interesting next week when I have to “torture” his sweater on that noisy machine to finish it off…LOL!
January 28, 2011
I added the ‘sleeves’ and finished his sweater sometime before Christmas. I may add another band of ribbing on the back to cover more of his butt.